This post contains affiliate links.
Recently I’ve seen a lot of people in different groups commenting that they’re unsure of sewing with knits. Sewing with knits opens up a whole new world of fabric and patterns!
Here are five tips to help you get started sewing with knits:
- Always use a ballpoint needle – a ballpoint needle pushes between the threads in the fabric rather than trying to poke through them and creating holes.
- You don’t need a serger – sure it makes a nice professional looking finished seam, but seriously, who’s going to see your seams?? I sewed for years without a serger. Actually, it wasn’t until I opened my etsy shop that I even considered buying one. A basic machine with a zig zag or stretch stitch will work just fine.
- Pins are your friend – this is not the time to try and get by with just a couple pins. Use pins, lots of pins! I’ve also heard good things about clips, although I haven’t tried them.
- It takes practice – just like when you first started sewing, you didn’t make a wedding dress! The same goes for learning to work with a new material. Pick an easy pattern (this is one of the easiest I’ve made – a dolman t-shirt – no ruching) and some cheapy fabric (think clearance at your favorite fabric store). When you’re ready for good fabric, check out this website – her fabric is sew nice!
- Finally, take your time – Don’t sit down to sew your new project when you’re pressed for time! Pick a time when you can focus on what you’re doing.
Do you like sewing with knits? What’s your favorite tip?
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure policy for more details.